Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Church relationship (reflection)










Growing up in the UK, I went to church regularly only because my parents said I have to. Older, I began to realise what going to church really meant but soon after establishing a strong bond between me and the community of that church, I moved to the Philippines to study. I didn't know which church to go to nor did I even know if there was a church in this country. I later happened to come across a flier which says come to this church, and without a thought I chose that church as the place I would do my involvement project.

To begin with, like all new relationships I was not so close to the community within the church. Even though I was welcomed, I had this uneasy feeling that everyone was constantly judging me on any actions that I do to see whether I was theist or agnostic so I tried to lay low and not express myself as much. 


During the morning services, I would often sit near the back like an outcast and as soon as the service was done, I would scurry on home without saying a word to anyone. Not knowing anyone apart from the Pastor, made me feel lonely. But it all changed when I was slow on making it out and was stopped by a church member. The church member used a common conversation starter which was ‘how are you,’ one thing led to another and then bam! I was surrounded by the whole community, wanting to shake my hand and greet me. Overwhelmed by the sincerity and the misinterpretation I had of them, I began to enjoy my time there.

Nearing the end of the project, I knew about 95% of the community in that church, minus the names, I also sat nearer to the front. I made a promise to them that I would continue going to that particular church, not just because it was a one minute walk there, but because I liked the church and it touched something in me.

All in all, I would say that my relationship with the church, if I was to rate it, it would be a 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment